In 1947 a mission-minded pastor named Rev. Walter Lack joined with some Swedes and neighbors who were enthusiastic about Jesus and what God was up to in their lives, and who wanted to share that love and grace with others.
Services were held at the Ruhl School on 81st Street and the fellowship grew quickly. By the summer of 1949 the newly chartered congregation was already building "The Little Brown Church" at 82nd St. and Ward Parkway in Kansas City, MO. In 1954 that same group saw an opportunity to take Christ's ministry to the newly developing suburbs in Prairie Village and Leawood, so the little chapel was placed on a truck and moved to 9100 Mission Rd., where the church still sits today.
On June 13, 1955, a photo in the Kansas City Star was captioned: "The Church Is On the Move!" At that time there were no houses in the area, except for the parsonage at 91st and Mission roads--just fields and farms looking south or west as far as the eye could see, and even for a few miles north. On Sept. 11, 1955, having completed a building expansion, the congregation held a dedication service and Lutheran Church of the Resurrection became a reality. Young families flooded into the developing area and by 1965 the present sanctuary was built to accommodate the rapid growth in worship attendance.
In 1995 the two buildings were joined, providing new office and meeting space. Over the years the neighbor's faces have changed and those original young children have grown up and begun families of their own, but the congregation has remained active and continues to reach out with love and service to the world around us. We are a people who value the traditions that have sustained generations past, and yet are willing to bend and adapt to meet the needs of the future. We are convinced that God is alive, active, and at work in in our lives and in the world around us, that God has blessed us with gifts so that we can bless others, and that God has a preferred and promised future for all of us, including you!